Logo

Troubleshooting: Johnson Oceanrunner 175

GW20175

First post, appreciate any help in advance.

Just wondering if anyone has some thoughts on a problem I'm having.

Boat has sat for 2 to 2.5 years. Was running when put away and winterized.

Decided to try and make use of it for the end if this year, even if just for crabbing.

The motor is a Johnson OceanRunner 175HP.

Went to start it today and had some issues.

First issue I had was I couldn't get the priming bulb to prime, or become firm. I finally remedied this by turning the bulb vertical, with the motor end up, and pumping it.

At this point, I'd choke the motor and it would start as soon as the key click over. It will run good for about 5 seconds, that start to choke for 5 seconds, before shutting off.

Continually pumping the bulb will not keep it running, even though as soon as the motor turns over, the bulb goes soft ( which I believe would be normal ).

Continually choking the motor when it starts to sputter will keep it running longer, maybe as long as I feel like continually choking it.

Pulling it out of gear and raising the RPMs seems to choke it out quicker.

There may be a bit of fuel left over from sitting, but it was basically on E and I put 30 fresh gallons in it today.

The oil injection system in disconnected and we add the oil through the fuel fill into the fuel tank.

I put jump pack on the batteries ( I read these motors can be funny if the batteries aren't fully charged ) but that changed nothing.

I pulled a plug and they are pretty new and don't look terrible. A little bit of build up, but not something I'd think would cause the engine to stall. I'd also think if it was the plugs, it wouldn't run well as soon as it turned over.

My thought is it is a fuel issue of some sort since choking the motor ( which on these I believe just floods the engine with fuel ) will stop it from sputtering out and keep it running.

My next shot in the dark was going to be trying a different bulb, but I'm open to ideas?

Thanks

Back