Logo

DT Oil Pump / Lines bleed procedure

chackett

Hi All-

Has anyone ever bled the oil injection system on a Suzuki DT200 (I believe DT150 is the same)?

I have the manual and I am able to locate the oil pump and the bleed screw. I have two main questions..

First .. how in the world are you supposed to have access to the bleeder screw while the oil tank is installed? I would think installing a smaller tank to get the system primed and then connecting the main tank would sort of defeat the purpose of bleeding the system using the main oil tank.

Second .. the manual suggests filling the lines from the pump to the carbs with oil. What's the trick for that? I think the oil lines have in-line check valves, so filling them from the top down isn't an option, they would have to be filled from the bottom up I believe. I guess I'm going to rig up some sort of syringe arrangement unless someone can tell me what I'm missing.

Thanks all,
Chris

Well .. for anyone that is interested in this topic other than me, I thought I would post an update.

First, I believe there just simply is no easy way to bleed the oil pump and lines easily. The bleed screw is just too far back and difficult to reach with the oil tank installed. Combine that with the fact that the factory lines on the oil system are too short to keep them connected and have the oil tank out of the way at the same time.

I used a syringe from the medicine cabinet and a short section of clear tubing I got from Home Depot. I also used a small brass fitting from the plumbing section that fit inside the tubing and had an flange on the end of it that created a nice opening to assist with getting the syringe inserted or placing the tube over other oil lines or fittings.

So .. I disconnected the oil tank and left the oil sensor in place. I opened the bleed screw and pushed several syringes worth of oil through the lines until there was no air bubbling out. Then I used the syringes to try and push some oil through the pump while the bleed screw was closed. I really wasn't able to get anything through the pump. So I decided I would go ahead and pull all the carbs out and remove the oil pump and give them all a good cleaning.

I never was able to identify the clog (maybe just some gelled oil or something) .. but I was not able to blow air / oil through the inlet nipple. Some carb cleaner and wire through it a couple times, and it started flowing freely. I disassembled the pump as best I could (seemed pretty straightforward to me), cleaned all the inlets and pump holes. The main pump mechanism looks a lot like the high speed carb jets. Put it al back together and reinstalled the pump.

The oil lines also have these in-line check valves or back flow prevention thinggies. I used my syringe and pulled the plunger up while connected to the top of the lines (disconnected from where they attach to the throttle body). I am pretty sure that unclogged a couple check valves.

Of course my truck is in the shop, so I haven't been able to test any of this yet, but I'm hopeful this was a worthwhile effort.

Hopefully this is helpful for someone someday.

Chris

I know this is old, but the procedure is alot easier than this. with the oil tank connected, 100:1 mix in a portable tank for safety, and carbs dained of raw fuel, remove the oil pump link to bottom of carb. start engine. at idle, simply turn the oil pump up to max volume with the linkage. wait for all air bubbles to escape into intake manifold. reconnect. done.

Back