Logo

Steering Question

Rick_B

Good morning folks - I have a 1991 Johnson 120 HP V4 engne on a 19' starcraft center console deep V boat. I've noticed a significant "pull to the right" as I'm running down the lake at a slow to moderate speed. Is there a reasonable easy adjustment for this in the steering linkage system?

Thanks

Rick

the tab should be adjusted so that when you are up on a plane and running at a good cruising speed that you can take your hand off the wheel and the boat will run straight...lets say 4k rpm...then it should run straight all the way through wot...actually it should run like that anytime you are on a plane..some boats will pull to the right when plowing water but when adjusted but not to the point where you have to fight it...the starting point on that tab when viewed from the back is to have the rear of the tab slightly to your right..

Little fin sticking down aft of the propeller. Gotta say though, often times it is not enough to do the job. What you are experiencing is the force opposite the force of engine torque. Much worse on some boats than others. But all "normal". Some can be adjusted out, live with it on others. Non-feedback steering system helps.

Back