Logo

Tilt/Trim Not Working, Please Help!

Hi all.
Firstly I have a 2000 Yamaha 70hp 2 stroke outboard.
It appears that my tilt/trim motor has completely stopped working.
I have tested the relay and all connections and tests good, second test will be the tilt/trim motor. Problem is I cannot access it
frown.gif

I turned the manual release screw clockwise to relieve the pressure so that I can tilt the outboard up and down manually by hand. What happened is the outboard went down and now will not go back up no matter how hard I try to lift it. I cannot find any reason why its not free to lift up but it just does not.
So my problem is now I cannot access my tilt/trim motor to try and fix and I cannot get my outboard up so trailering it to an outboard repair shop is out.
Please help, am I missing something?
Any info would be appreciated
Steve

I had the same problem . I have twin 150 engines . Motor down but will not come up. Could not release the lock on the left side of the engine. ( later I found out that most of the engines out there you can't release it. It's not mechanical but directs fluid a different way. But that's another story.
My boat was on a floating dock and I have no trailer . I disconnected the through bolt holding the tilt bracket. Than I was going to hoist the engine up to get at the tilt motor. Could not raise the engine at the dock and had to take it to a marina and pay big bucks to replace the motor.
But before you do that try this first to see if it's you motor. Remove the wires at the engine going to the motor. Apply 12 volts and listen if the motor is working or not working. If not you should have any problem lifting your motor and replace the tilt motor. You could get them on line for about $300 I paid $500 to the marine , ouch. Good luck;
Flabob1

When applying the 12 volts don't forget to reverse the + and - . That will give yo a up and down .

flabob1

Back