Logo

Greetings, looking for year on merc 1150 115 hp.

budman67

Greetings people, this is a very helpful forum.
I have two 115 motors, one with distributed,
and the other cdi. The serial #7200520 is the
one I need right now.

Thanks in advance. :cool:

The serial number guide contains US numbers and sometimes Belgian numbers (Australian and Canadian are difficult to find - crappy records)

You have a Canadian built Merc (Mississauga Ontario), 1983 model.

Since all the on-line parts look-up's use US serial numbers, you could use 6262961 which is the US starting serial for your production year (model 100% identical mechanically).

**(I assumed you posted the serial correctly - if it is actually 7002xxx then it's a 1973 model. The reason I am adding this is because by 1983 the model was simply a "115", they stopped calling it a 1150 in 1979 - if yours has 1150 on the cowl (hood), you should re-check and re-post your serial number just to be sure - it can make a huge difference)

Last edited:
I did check and recheck before hitting the send button.
It has a two tone blue band above the water exit ports.
I can not guarantee cowling cover.
It states Mississauga Ontario on the plate on the transom
Mounting bracket.

Ok, just wanted to be sure.

The cowling could have been replaced.

I have that serial (production number) listed for a 1983 production. But as I said, the Canadian records are horrible, so I could be off by a year either way (but certainly no more).

Those "blue bands" do indicate it would be a 1980, 81, 82 or 83 model "with ADI ignition (earlier "blue bands" 74 thru 77 had the earlier ignition). In 84 they changed to brown.

So based on the serial and the bands, plus my (mediocre) lists, I'll stick with 1983 with fair certainty.

Would a picture be of assistance to narrow it down
So that I order correct parts I might need.
I have a manual on order,do cylinders on this
Motor turn on and off at certain rpms?

A picture certainly wouldn't hurt, but the serial if associated with the powerhead, is normally enough. What I mean by that is, if the powerhead is original to the bracket (where normally the info plate is contained).

With the cylinders turning on and off, I believe you are referring to the 115/125 horse 4 cylinder models that are generally referred to the 2+2's.

The carbs are different for 2 of the cylinders and the ignition only fires two of the cylinders until it reaches a certain rpm. The two (non-firing cylinders) do get a small fuel/oil charge to keep them lubricated but they don't fire (or don't fire with enough "umph" to actually contribute).

Someone else can chime in here, but I'm thinking these did not come into existence until the 1989 model year with a serial starting 0Cxxxxx. However, I work primarily on 25 horse and under models so the 2+2's may have come into the market earlier than I think.

(after looking over some of my notes I am now more confident that the 2+2 design was introduced for the 1989 model year when they changed the 4 cylinder block to loop charged from cross flow making it quite unlikely that you have a 2+2 model).

Last edited:
Thanks, this is a 6 cylinder unit. I phrased my question wrong, sorry.

A picture certainly wouldn't hurt, but the serial if associated with the powerhead, is normally enough. What I mean by that is, if the powerhead is original to the bracket (where normally the info plate is contained).

With the cylinders turning on and off, I believe you are referring to the 115/125 horse 4 cylinder models that are generally referred to the 2+2's.

The carbs are different for 2 of the cylinders and the ignition only fires two of the cylinders until it reaches a certain rpm. The two (non-firing cylinders) do get a small fuel/oil charge to keep them lubricated but they don't fire (or don't fire with enough "umph" to actually contribute).

Someone else can chime in here, but I'm thinking these did not come into existence until the 1989 model year with a serial starting 0Cxxxxx. However, I work primarily on 25 horse and under models so the 2+2's may have come into the market earlier than I think.

(after looking over some of my notes I am now more confident that the 2+2 design was introduced for the 1989 model year when they changed the 4 cylinder block to loop charged from cross flow making it quite unlikely that you have a 2+2 model).

Back