Logo

5.7 EFI turn ignition key = high pitched whistle /whine noise -wont turn over

jungmann

NEED HELP - any ideas welcome. Just had water pump and starter replaced. afterwards starting and running out of water with muffs beautifully for last couple of weeks while cleaning up boat to sell. today turned the key for couple of seconds for a check start before someone comes to look at boat and all i get is a high pitched whistle/ whine sound. got out of boat after 2 tries and saw muffs/boots had slipped off the stern drive - replaced and tried few more times. boat will not attempt to turn over. checked battery, trim down, muffs w/ water, in neutral . MCM Mercruiser 5.7 EFI - Ebbtide 2001 Mystique i/o. something simple I'm missing?

I turn the key and only hear what sounds like a wheel spinning at very high speed. There isnt even a click like you would hear with a bad starter much less crank or start.

A new starter? What your hearing is the starter motor spinning, but the solenoid itself is not engaging the starter gear with the flywheel. The solenoid could be bad, or not wired right?

new new starter or rebuilt?... hopefully in any case a marine starter, not auto.

in any event... see mikeDee's post.

Solinoid was tested when installing the starter -seemed to check out. Its been raining quite a bit and since I 'm working on some kind of cleaning, compounding, polishing etc. almost daily in order to put the boat on the market I haven't had it covered plus humidity has been what feels like 150%. When i lift the engine cover funneled rainwater drains off and trickles onto the engine. Do you think its possible moisture could play a roll in anyway?

Last edited:
Yes, Marine starter but what they called used - I guess could equate to rebuilt? I should have asked them to define "used" BEFORE I purchased.

Last edited:
Anythings possible, it could be wet inside,,, get a hair dryer down there on the solenoid, make it toasty the give it another try. If not, here's the way it works, the solenoid case is a large electro-magnet, when powered up it pulls it's center plunger in, causing the starter gear to engage with the flywheel, then the starter motor takes over. These don't usually go bad, check your solenoid wiring connections good,,, they could be loose or corroded? Further diagnosis if needed, requires a voltmeter to check for power at all the solenoid connections.

Anythings possible, it could be wet inside,,, get a hair dryer down there on the solenoid, make it toasty the give it another try. If not, here's the way it works, the solenoid case is a large electro-magnet, when powered up it pulls it's center plunger in, causing the starter gear to engage with the flywheel, then the starter motor takes over. These don't usually go bad, check your solenoid wiring connections good,,, they could be loose or corroded? Further diagnosis if needed, requires a voltmeter to check for power at all the solenoid connections.

ok thanks, going to try now.

I had Carlson Contender with 115 HP Mariner motor stored for 3 years. Did not drain carburetors. Yesterday only idled in water and moved at 2-5 miles an hour. Ignition Switch is is making high pitch noise today. Do not like the sound. Noticed it was spilling a lot of gas from lower 1 of 3 carburetorss. Did not want to turn over yet for possible sparking fire. Can you help? Thanks

Back