Logo

Captains Choice 6.0 help

JayC

I own a 87 Shamrock 26' running on a 2004 Cruzader Captains choice 6.0 MPI with a returnless fuel system, brand new risers and thermostat, is a great fishing boat on a slow side I usually run WOT 3200 RPM 17Knots.
One day run fine for 20 minutes then I stopped for gas at Harbortown Marina, Fort Pierce, Florida and the engine started giving me problems as such, check engine light and sound on, it doesn't allowed the engine run more than 2000 RPM 10 knots and it backfires.
I know that by reading the engine owners manual is equipped with a overspeed protection in case something is wrong, I suspect is Fuel related,
Did that ever happened to anyone and what was the cause?
Thanks

Welcome to ME.com!

Yes, your engine is in a self protect mode when the rpm is limited...

With the check engine light on, it is positive something is amiss. You'll need to get a scan tool to "talk" to the computer to see what is objectionable and proceed from there. The other area of concern is the maintenance the boat has seen over the past couple years...

I own a 87 Shamrock 26' running on a 2004 Cruzader Captains choice 6.0 MPI with a returnless fuel system, brand new risers and thermostat, is a great fishing boat on a slow side I usually run WOT 3200 RPM 17Knots.
One day run fine for 20 minutes then I stopped for gas at Harbortown Marina, Fort Pierce, Florida and the engine started giving me problems as such, check engine light and sound on, it doesn't allowed the engine run more than 2000 RPM 10 knots and it backfires.
I know that by reading the engine owners manual is equipped with a overspeed protection in case something is wrong, I suspect is Fuel related,
Did that ever happened to anyone and what was the cause?
Thanks

Hello, I recognize this is an older thread however I too have a 26 Shamrock and am looking into a 6.0. I would like to know what you found out with your issue. When I first read your post I noticed some concerns. 1) WOT Wide Open Throttle for the current 6.0 is 4800-5300 so if you are WOT at 3200 you have a problem. Cruise is around 4000. You have either a huge prop, very dirty bottom, out of adjustment throttle cable, or dragging an anchor. Again the above specs are on a current year 6.0 but you need to check those things out. Has the WOT always been 3200? Even an older motor will have a higher 3200 WOT, perhaps you are referring to your cruise? 2) a 26 Shamrock with the original 351 at about 250hp will still cruise around 22 knots so with your 6.0 you should do a few knots more at cruise with the extra 100+ hp

Please give us an update on the issue. It will help myself and others I'm sure. Thanks!

Can you give us an update on what happened with your motor? Even it is was not related to the engine, fuel issues, water, whatever, will be helpful. Thanks.

Jayce. I agree. You asked for and received some good advice about your engine. Is it asking too much for you to let us know the outcome of your problem so that others can learn from it.

Back