Logo

repowering with 30 hp Tohatsu

longtooth

I have a new 1648 Alumacraft jon boatwith a 1992 25 hp Johnson 2 stroke and planning to repower with a new 30 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke. I was wondering if my low end hole shot would be slower with the 4 stroke compared to 2 stroke.
Also, what problems or positive things can anyone tell me about this motor.
30 hp remote control with T/T and electric start and 15 in shaft is the motor I looking at.
I am new on this site and all comments and advice is appreciated.

upgrading from a 25 to a 30 is pointless so you may as well go back with another 25 or go up to a 40 like the new 2014 tohatsu 4 stroke 40 and you will be very happy you did

As long as the USCG placard allows a 30, I always recommend the 30 over the 25. 20% more power, and the same weight (since it is based on the same frame). The Tohatsu MFS30 is the lowest-cost in its class, and does not require any special 2-stroke DFI oil, since it's a 4-stroke. No 4-stroke will have quite the throttle response of a 2-stroke, but it does have a great torque curve, so acceleration is very good.

As long as the USCG placard allows a 30, I always recommend the 30 over the 25. 20% more power, and the same weight (since it is based on the same frame). The Tohatsu MFS30 is the lowest-cost in its class, and does not require any special 2-stroke DFI oil, since it's a 4-stroke. No 4-stroke will have quite the throttle response of a 2-stroke, but it does have a great torque curve, so acceleration is very good.
Thanks Planck, boat is rated for 35hp, but no one makes 35hp motors anymore so going for 30hp.

Back