Logo

e15rcde prop bushing bad? prop spins on prop shaft while in gear

rockfisher805

i was heading back from great day of fishing when all of a sudden my motor dropped rpm and died. i let is sit for a minute and the put it in neutral and pulled the cord and it started right up put it in forward and it died. i started it again and put it in reverse and it ran, then i put it in forward and it died. when i would twist the throttle it would raised in rpm but the prop wasn't moving any water and it sounded like the driveshaft was moving but the prop wasn't. i think that the prop bushing is bad would this also cause the the motor to wind down and die while in forward? because i was about a mile from the launch site and it wound down and died. i could start it again first pull in neutral and run the motor in reverse and it wouldn't die in either reverse or neutral position but when i put it in forward gear it wanted to die quickly. i finally waited a few minutes and it started back up and would run but only with very minimal throttle when i gave it full throttle it would make a sound like the prop shaft was spinning really fast but the propeller wasn't moving that fast. i think that the prop bushing is bad but would that cause the motor to not want to run in forward gear? and also would it keep it from reaching it top rpm? and if it is the problem where could i find a prop bushing for this motor, e15rcde any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance

1986 15hp Evinrude

If you just had a spun prop hub, that wouldn't have any bearing on the engine dying out.

In gear..... If the prop turns on the shaft BUT the prop nut does not turn, you have a spun hub.

In gear..... If the prop turns and the prop nut ALSO turns, suspect a sheared driveshaft or some other drive problem. This is assuming that the flywheel is not turning when you turn the prop.

yea i checked the gear oil no signs of metal or shaving pieces etc i have the lower end off and when I switched it foward it makes a grinding noise but when I put it in reverse it doesn't make the same noise could it be a broken forward gear

Back