Logo

1995 90hp merc 2 stroke need guidence motor starts after sitting then starts runs and stops

surfit

Hello,
I have a 18' center console boat with a 90hp Merc outboard 1995 2 stroke and last weekend I was out on the water the engine was running fine for around 20 miles I had stopped several times to fish and the engine was starting fine one click:cool: then I tried after fishing a spot for a while and it would turn over real good but didn't start :mad:so I checked if I was getting fuel that looked good so I continued to try cranking the motor several times and it sounded like right when I turned the key off it was getting ready to start. :confused: I finally got it started and went about a mile and it just quit like I turned the key off, no sputtering like a fuel issue and it was nice and cool. I let it sit for about ten minutes to check fuses and connections then it started again and went about a mile then quit again. I called vessel assist and was towed back to the harbor. When got home I went to flush the motor and it started and ran for about 3 minutes and quit. I am not real strong on electrical problems so if this sounds like something you have experienced before or know what the problem might be please advise it would be very much appreciated, :confused:
Thanks in advance,
Jeff.

I'm working on an older 50 with a similar problem. First try checking to see that the black/yellow wire going to the switch box isn't grounded when key in run position (thats when motor is acting up). If this checks out then I'd get the specs and follow through with electrical system tests.....Stator or switch box my suspect. Good luck, ,Tim

Even though it ''sounds'' and ''feels'' like a fire problem i would throw a timing light on it when its failing and see if its firing...in fact i would go a spark gap test...what you do not want to do is work on a fire problem when its a fuel problem...this can turn into an expensive non fix quick..

You are in Baton Rouge, beauty town. Have family there, have visited often up until the 1980's. Willies......Leroy lived into his mid 90's, worked with soil district. Marie, my Aunt, was a school teacher.

Back