Logo

Exhaust tube disconnected?

briffdogg

Hi I have an 06 larson sei180, out on the water water was filling up inside and it was running at half the power that it should be, after taking the boat out, I noticed the lower of the 2 big tubes disvonnected. Is that where the bearing is, what should I do now? Someone told me that if water came into the bearing, I should remove the whole foot and make sure the bearing doesn't have water to rust? Is this right?

Sounds like your ujoints bellow has a hole in it. Yes, ujoints and gimble berring can get wet and rust, but more importantly, your boat can sink! If you were running at half the power that's probably because your boat was full of water!

lower of the 2 bellows is not where the bearing is, it is exhaust and that isn't your problem.

as floatin says... check the d/s bellows, shift cable bellows for starters

and yes you have to remove the outdrive to check the gimbal bearing.

Hi, thanks so what should I do open the foot and check the bearing for what? Being wet? Which ones are the ds belows, from the 2 big ones the lower one opened

Last edited:
driveshaft (d/s)and ujoints are in the top one- the big one. The lower one is exhaust and it can be open without issue - thousands of boats are running around with the exhaust bellows removed and they ain't sinking like yours. Just a bit noisier.

Download or buy a manual and look how to remove the drive, or youtube it at your own risk.

I did a full bellows change ( shift, exhaust, ujoint) along with a new shift cable and gimble berring also. Did it myself, over the weekend. Two people would have been nice. Had a manual and lots of Internet pics. Watched several YouTube videos, chose the right ones. Had some help here also.
I have an exhaust tube ( one side is not connected). Didn't really notice a difference in sound.

No, you need to fix the leak!
Which as mentioned, is prob either the shift cable bellow or the ujoint bellow. You need to pull the drive ( not the foot, the whole thing) then you can see what's wet, or has an obvious hole.
You can grease the gimble berring without taking anything off, but that won't fix your leak. You have to take the drive off to grease the ujoints.
Prevenitive maintainance , at the end off every season you should take off the outdrive to grease the ujoints and check engine alignment, as well as checking the gimble berring.
It will take you 30 min to an hour to take it off the first time and a $7 gasket

Get a manual!

If there was a leak in the top bellows ( did you inspect for damage in old one after changing it?) enough for water to get in your boat, it is likely that the bearings in the universal are damaged... especially if you run in salt water.
If it's running quiet as you turn at very low speed steering from from full port to full starboard, you MAY get thru the rest of this season. If it were my boat, I'd replace the bearings, not just lube them.

Why did you leave one end of the exhaust bellows disconnected? Just results in more noise.

Last edited:
Your mixing the two responses. I replaced everything while as I stated. Kit came with an exhaust tube, designed not to be clamped on. It wasn't any louder.

Orignal OP has a leak

Back