Logo

Mercruiser Exhaust options

twoods19

Hello all, I am new here and am in need of your expert advise. I just purchased my first boat a 1986 19' cruisers lazer 1900. it has a 305 mercruiser with an alpha one outdrive. I am looking to upgrade the exhaust. not for performance gain, just for more noise, I love this boat but its too quiet. I know nothing of boat exhaust so could use some help here. I want to do a thru hull exhaust, but don't want to spend a ton of money. what will I need to complete this project? any help is greatly appreciated!! thanks in advance

Do you have the center riser manifolds, or the log type manifolds? You can just pipe them out with 3" or 4" (whatever fits?) rubber exhaust tubing if you have the center risers? If I remember correctly, 6ft of exhaust hose (approx. 3' each side), 2 clamps at every joint (C.G. regs!) and a nice set of tips to fit. Be careful of any obstructions, like your steering assembly at the transom. If you find a set of Salisbury rubber straight thru marine mufflers, it will sound like glasspaks.

OR, you could just get an exhaust tube from Mercruiser (reasonable), then take off your exhaust boot, and clamp it onto the outdrive plate, to get a bit more noise, especially when running full trim.

You can use your search engine to find these items online.

Thanks for the reply! I believe i have the log type manifolds, i am not that familiar with marine engines yet. I see some people talking i want to have some type of valve in the exhaust, some tips even have flaps on them, could you please explain the reasoning behind this? Thanks again!!

The flaps are for backwash from rough water, basically they're only working somewhat with the engine off. Otherwise when running, you're depending on exhaust pressure to keep water out.

My boats had center risers, so I don't know what issues you'll run into with the log manifolds? You'll probably need to mount the tips lower on the transom, and 2- marine elbows with extra hose, & clamps, to go straight out the transom tips. You'll want to put a little down pitch on the hoses to the tips, to drain possible standing water.

Back