Logo

replaced alternator now have no start

Warhead2006

hi guys I got 5.8 omc motor on my 1991 chris craft 228 concept. I had starter and alternator rebuild for no crank and no charging. now my boat does not start at all, I got no power anywhere even radio don't work. alternator has 4 wires I know one is b+ :) stupid me didn't take pic where wires go now I am not sure if that could cause no power by connecting it wrong? or if I remove the whole alternator should I have power or that's important part of circuit? I was planning to take my 2yo son on boat this year and summer almost over :(

If your OMC engine harness includes the circuit breaker "red button" re-set, perhaps try re-setting it. Often these require a manly push!

Take a voltage reading from the system negative common side (engine block), at both terminals of this breaker.
If power at one side only, the breaker needs to be re-set, or it's faulty.
If power at both sides, then the breaker is functioning correctly.

Ok thanks I will check that today, I have looked at the breaker before but seems like I was pressing hard and nothing happened, I also put "power probe" on the back of the braker and have no power and any leads, there are 2 50amp brakers. I will double check it with the volt meter and press harder. are those expensive to replace? thank you for advice

are those expensive to replace?

Flounder Pounder Marine has them for $25.50 Check on e-Bay also.

661-2141.jpg

alright Rick figured it out lol, boat starts and runs fine. What I did was I hooked up power cable on wrong side o the starter solenoid that goes to brakers. Thank you. Now I need to figure out how t connect alternator got 4 wires and I blow a fuse so at this moment I don't have it installed. any advice? and thanks again

Ok one more issue, I don't remember where the alternator wires go, I hooked up the way I think and the problem is alternator charges at over 16volts. The only thing I figured was when I add battery power to one of the purple wires it drops to 14.7 volts I am just not sure if I should just wire ignition b+ to that wire?

Back