Logo

Repair/Replace Commander 3000

johnmsch

The handle on my original factory Mercruiser Commander 3000 throttle/shift was loose, so I went through the procedure in the manual to tighten it. Pulled the brass screw holding the handle, cleaned it and applied some Loctite 242. The manual calls for it to be torqued to 150 in.lbs/17nm. As I was tightening it, the sleeve it goes into broke off:

5F18D97D-7B9B-46D5-96D3-5C9C9C6ADB28.jpg

And yes, I'm sure I was using my inch-pound socket wrench and not the fool-pound one!

Did some searches and it doesn't look like there are any more replacement parts for this unit. Also found that the 3000 series units made just after mine, starting in June of 1994, had a recall on them. I'm also reading that in general, this series has been rather unreliable. Even if I could find the part, is it worth the effort to fix this?

The only thing I can find to replace it is the SeaStar CH1700 series, specifically the CH1752P, which has trim/tilt. I saw some mentions of the Commander 4000 series, but evidently I would have to also install new throttle and shift cables, where the SeaStar uses the existing cables. The cables I have now were replaced with new ones about 5 years ago, so they are still in good shape.

I downloaded the install guide for the CH1700's and it seems pretty straightforward, although I'm still not clear on all the options for hooking up the throttle and shift cables (push vs pull on each one). Pretty sure I can figure that out once I remove the old unit. If I go with the CH1752P, does it come with everything I need, or would I have to get some special adapter for the throttle/shift cables, or the two wiring harnesses?

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has been through this before.

FYI, I did the replacement with the CH1752P on Friday and it went very well. The key is to read through the install guide a few times to get very familiar with the process and parts.

Shifting and throttling works very smoothly now.

Back