Logo

O2 Sensors

Anyone know if the O2 sensors for the Honda BF225's (2002-2006) are interchangeable?

A buddy gave me a 35655-ZY3-013 but my S/N calls for the 35655-ZZ5-004.

Thoughts?

This is a little complex. Depends on your serial number.

If you have an A2 - A5 Model 225, then you can only use the 013 o2 sensor.

Post your serial number and we will tell you what model you have, if you do not already know.

The models after that can be a combination of changing ECU and/or New O2 sensor and/or reprogramming ECU and/or install new exhaust manifold.

Mike

Looking at SB#70 I think I need the O2 sensor listed because the alternate is not compatible with the ECM.

Not sure what makes the difference? Voltage, Pulse Width, Rise Time? I thought the newer O2 sensor was just a higher heat resistance.

Yes, SB #70 covers BAGJ-1400001 ~ 1509999. Do you have a copy of SB #70? It clearly states that:

A6 and AK0 units:

A new HO2S is available with a higher
heat resistance. The ECM (Engine
Control Module) must also be replaced
because it has been reprogrammed to
accept the new HO2S.
Install a new HO2S kit (A6 ~ AK0 units)
on any unit with the described symptom
following the procedure starting on
page 4.

That seems to indicate that you can also install a replacement for the original HO2 sensor and use your current ECM.

Yes, SB #70 covers BAGJ-1400001 ~ 1509999. Do you have a copy of SB #70? It clearly states that:

A6 and AK0 units:

A new HO2S is available with a higher
heat resistance. The ECM (Engine
Control Module) must also be replaced
because it has been reprogrammed to
accept the new HO2S.
Install a new HO2S kit (A6 ~ AK0 units)
on any unit with the described symptom
following the procedure starting on
page 4.

That seems to indicate that you can also install a replacement for the original HO2 sensor and use your current ECM.

Yes Thanks I read the same thing but the way it is written it didn't specifically state that once the higher heat HO2 was installed with the matching ECM that the configuration is backwards compatible to the older version of the HO2 sensor.

As I mentioned the current configuration has the ZZ5-004 HO2 sensor.

The part that was given to me is the ZY3-013 and was the earlier version from what I gather by the notes in the P/L.

35655-ZY3-013 Use up to Engine SN 1111273
35655-ZZ5-004 Use from Engine SN 1111274

So the real question is. Is the newer ECM (or ECU) configuration/programming backwards compatible. I'm guessing on the NO side. This is my reasoning.

Again the Honda PL for ECU's lists 3 types. 34750-ZY3-Axx

Only the 34750-ZY3-A04 indicates "Use from Engine SN 1111274", the same note that applies to the matching HO2 sensor ZZ5-004.

I cannot answer your question definitively. From what I have read I don't think your ECM would be backward compatible to the older -013 HO2 sensor. Hopefully someone else on this thread knows more than I do.

I cannot answer your question definitively. From what I have read I don't think your ECM would be backward compatible to the older -013 HO2 sensor. Hopefully someone else on this thread knows more than I do.

Well I just tried calling Honda Customer support and spoke for 40 minutes with a spe-c-i-a-l-ist!!!. That's 40 minutes I'll never ever get back again. :confused:

Back