Logo

5.8 OMC cobra no crank, nothing

Warhead2006

Hi guys new here and been reading a lot of posts and there is a lot of smart techs hopefully you can help me. I got 1991 chris craft 228 concept with 5.8L OMC cobra. My boat had problems starting and would die out when gave it more throttle so I had my starter rebuild, alternator rebuild, mechanical fuel pump rebuild, replaced starter selenoid and distributor rotor. Battery fully charged, fuses are good. BUT no start, nothing, no crank, no power to radio, trim nothing. If I have b+ to starter selenoid I have motor cranking! same thing if I hardwire ignition switch with ground and b+ it cranks. I am confused on how now nothing works? Before I just had rough idle, no accel and sometimes no crank just some pump was turning on. Anyways what do I do next? I will still check ground wire from battery to whatever it goes, but what else can I do? Thank you guys

could be your key switch, or bad connection between it and the fuse panel. Google image search pulls up electrical schematics for most OMC Cobra setups. Of course the schem won't refelct what's going on under the dash, but it's usually pretty obvious under there. If you have a Bayliner, the helm schematics are available -other brands you just follow the spaghetti.

Last edited:
Back