Logo

Starter Problems?

laneedmondson21

Alright I recently bought a bass boat and the guy stayed he had it started and running for awhile about a month before I bought it. I went to start it and its acting up. The problem I'm having is the starter will jump up and hit the bottom of the flywheel but won't actually go into the teeth and engage it unless I pull it up and get it to sit there when I turn the key and even when I do that it won't start. Is this a bad starter only or what else could it be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the engine must turn a minimum of 300 rpm to produce spark...the most common cause of your problem is a weak battery or bad connection on the battery posts..a fully charged good battery should read 12.7 volts... check this and get back to us and we can diagnose in depth if needed..

Alright to test it can I use the battery off of my truck because I don't have a battery for it just yet tryin to do alittle work to it and my house at the same time

Alright I tried it with a good battery and it is turning the motor fine. Is there anyway I can test to see if it is getting spark without just shocking myself or jumping the starter by myself?

Back