Logo

DD 671 identification - odd number?

arboon

Dear people
I am on a loss, so I hope for answers here. I have a Detroit Diesel/Gray Marine 671. Looking at the block, it clearly is a 671 (from my comparison with internet pics), but the number stamped in the block does not agree with any of the serial/model numbers from the manual. My neighbor also has a GM 671, but its build is different (the reverse from mine). I once heard that also models have been build in the Soviet republic, and I indeed found websites in russian with comparable pictures. The last pic contains the number that is stamped on the location where usually the model/serial numbers are stamped, but it is different from what the manual tells me there should be. Any help is much appreciated. I need to replace my transmission, and without the proper info on engine type, I can't do much.

Explanation with the pics:
1. Number stamped in starboard side engine 6 71 4320 - small.jpg this is the number stamped in the block where usually the model ans serial number are located.
2. Port side engine - small.jpg this is the port side of the engine, seen from the rear.
3. Starboard side engine - small.jpg this is the starboard side of the engine, seen from the rear. The number in pic 1 is located at the from part of this side, just after the reddish rod.
4. Starboard lower side engine - small.jpg this is the lower part of the starboard side of the engine (just above the carter).
5. Stern side engine - small.jpg this is the stern view of the engine.
If more pictures are needed, please let me know. I just don't have much room in the engine room to take good overview pictures.
Any reaction is much appreciated.
Best regards
Adrian Boon (from Amsterdam, The Netherlands)

Back