Logo

Welding prop

Cncquinn

The other week I spun the hub on my prop. Told a bud at work, and told it won't be taking the boat out til I get a new prop. He told me to just weld the brass bushing to the prop. I told him no, there's got to be a reason why I shouldn't. Give me reasons why I should not weld it. Like ruining the gears if I hit something.

Last edited:
those prop clutches are designed to go before you break something in most occurrences..in the old motors we had a shear pin to shear if we hit something.....you ever see a guy with his motor trimmed up and paddling and no prop or shaft left on the lower unit?....thats what you are asking for if you weld it...

there is probably a prop repair shop in the area...check around...much cheaper than a new prop...if you are running an aluminum prop check when you are at the prop shop and see if he has a good used one for a spare..a spare nut and washer etc aint a bad idea either..

I took a look and it wouldn't work anyway. Aluminum prop and steel bushing. Too hot you melt the prop, not hot enough, you can't run a bead on the steel. I looked around and a lot of the guys wouldn't bother to look cuz it's from the 60's. One guy helped out and said 90% of the time you press in a new bushing! you'll crack the prop. He was able to find me a new one for $97. That's the cheapest I've seen so far

Back