Logo

Question about a motor mount and the pivot bracket? Older motor, bit of play and motor shakes.

Roadblock

I have an older 1970 Mercury 500 50HP Thunderbolt outboard.

I seem to have two issues going on that cause me to have to fight my boat on the water a little bit. By fight, I mean it likes to drift to the left and or right and I'm constantly having to fight it back the other way.

The first one, which I think I know how to fix is that the steering cable connects to what I will call a ball hitch on the motor. It snaps over a small ball that looks just like a trailer hitch. That actually ball has movement in it, it has play. The nut does not appear to be tight enough but I tried to tighten it and it still has play. I'm thinking I need to shim it with a couple stainless washer?

So that bracket that the ball hitch mount is on I have noticeable play between that and the motor. When I hold the motor and have someone turn the wheel I can see the whole bracket start to move left to right without moving the motor. I have about an inch of play all the way across. About a half inch either direction.

Is there some type of rubber mounting in between that mount and the mount the motor pivots on?

Due to this play I notice that my motor shakes a bit too at idle.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:
That's why I totally eliminated that Mickey Mouse arrangement on my boat. In the below photo (taken during construction, hence the temporary connection), note how the steering arm turns the motor via a simple bracket added to the (in this case custom) lower cowling. That's how Merc USED to do it, before they went to that Mickey Mouse, sloppy deal. There's very little slop in this arrangement.

Jeff

W48-Trial Fit-2.jpg

Last edited:
Back