Logo

Water Pump Removal

My 1979 Chrysler 45 outboard engine had not been serviced in over a year so I pulled it from the lake and read my Seloc Chrysler manual about service. It says, "better to replace an old water pump when doing yearly maintenance." So I read about all the different types and figured mine was type '3' and proceeded to disassemble the lower end. But I got a surprise when I tried to, "slide the water pump body up and off the crankshaft". My crankshaft has a metal band, (about the size of my wedding band) just below the spline at top. It seems to be pressed on and wont budge. So, no water pump removal till this thing is off. Anybody got experience with this situation? :(

Not pressed on it's just stuck.
Take an adjustable wrench and put it under the band, tighten it, then tap it up with a hammer.
Should pop right off.
When reinstalling: some grease on the vanes of the impeller and some grease on the inside of the housing.

Then look up inside where the drive shaft goes and see if there is a rubber boot up inside.
That along with the ring make a grease seal for the top of the drive shaft.

Thanks a lot Jerry. That explains a lot. And tho I gave up on it, the water pump looked to be in pretty good shape and it really doesn't have many hours of operation, I've already put it back in the water and it's running good, at the end of the season when I take it back out of the lake I'll use your instructions to get it done for next year. mm

Back