Logo

197? 75hp Evinrude Idle rough and bogs down on acceleration

bsrutter

I have a 1977( I think) 75hp Evinrude model #75743S
Idles Rough and When the boat is on the water and I try to accelerate it just bogs down. I used to be able to push the choke a couple times while it was bogging down and it would pick up a couple times then take off and run fine on acceleration. That no longer helps. One thing I notice is when I push the choke at idle there is fuel coming out of the carbs is that normal or float set to high?

Things I have done:
Confirmed 3/8 gap spark
Replaced spark plugs
Cleaned carbs
cylinder balance test (all 3 cyl. are firing)
Sprayed oil/Gas mixture in carbs at idle to see if running lean ( all cylinders bogged down )

Any help very much appreciated

Bogging down when throttle is applied is normally caused by the following... "assuming" that the compression and spark on all cylinders is as it should be.

1 - Carburetors fouled (Did you clean the high speed jets?).
2 - Float level set wrong (See note below).
3 - Scribe mark on cam not aligned with center of throttle roller properly (butterflies opening at wrong time).
4 - Timer base under flywheel sticking.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Thanks for your reply Joe
I pulled the carbs to inspect float level and found the center carb float level was 1/8" too high the other two were ok. I also checked the high speed jets ad confirmed they were clean. I didfi2 find 2 of th 3 pin holess (the ones inside the bore were plugged.) What do those goe to and could they cause my issue?

I think you're asking about the small brass off center tubes that go vertical inside the high speed nozzles. THose small tubes are the fuel passage tubes that feed the slow speed jets. If they're fouled, the fuel is restricted or blocked from feeding the idle passageways of the carburetor.

The pin hole I was talking about are in th bore of the carb by the throttle plate.
I have rebuild kits coming should bee here tomorrow also ordered fuel pump kit because I found it was leaking. Will the carb kit come with new soft plugs? If not how do you remove them without messing them up?

Those pin holes are the outlet for the fuel mixture that pertains to the idle.... exits the fuel passageway via those holes into the rear portion of the craburetor throat, then onward to the intake leaf valves.

Back