Logo

buying used boat

utfyrfytr

I am looking at buying my first boat. I have found a 1984 Marlin with a 3.0 140hp and OMC sterndrive. I have heard some negativity about the OMC sterndrive and was wondering if those of you who have them think it is justified. One person told me to just run the other way and find something different. Just looking for some qualified information. Also is there anything specific I should be looking for if I go to see it? Thanks for all of your expert knowledge:)

Look carefully at the hull. Are the engine stringers fully encased in fiberglass or are they just tabbed to the hull? are there any soft decks? How is the transom? Frankly, the mechanicals are of less concern as you can always find another usable drive for cheap. Same for the engine.
Most boats came with the option of either a 4 or a V8. Obviously the V8 equipped boats were far more expensive, so the 4 cylinders were more affordable and are more common. That means you can probably refit with a V8 and a used drive for a handful of clams.
That said, there's nothing wrong with a properly maintained OMC drive. Thing is they fall into disuse and that's the death blow to anything mechanical.

Ayuh,.... The long block motor is a GM, just like Merc, 'n everybody else's,....

That'd be a Stringer 400 drive,....

Ya really oughta keep Lookin',....

Back