Logo

Mercruiser diesel repower

Jack Leung

I have a 1992 Sea Ray 350 EB with twin Mercruiser D254 diesel 220 HP sterndrive engines. The right hand engine has lost power and I plan to repower both. The outdrive are Bravo II. Some people recommend me Yanmar diesel. Should I go for Yanmar 315HP or 240 HP? Engine room can accomodate either one. Cost about the same. Any pros and cons? Any other engine recommendation? Thanks a lot. Jack

If the current engines (used to) provide sufficient torque to where you are happy with the hull's speed, then get the 240 HP engines...If not, get the higher rated ones...and find some "extra" cash to accomodate the changes that come with them.

If the current engines (used to) provide sufficient torque to where you are happy with the hull's speed, then get the 240 HP engines...If not, get the higher rated ones...and find some "extra" cash to accomodate the changes that come with them.
Surprisingly, cost of two engines are similar. My concern is whether the Sea Ray 350EB and the Bravo II can accomodate the 315HP engines as the original specs were 220HP.Any comment about Mercruiser vs Yanmar as the original engines were Mercruiser. Thanks. Jack

Back