Logo

Is anybody interested in a 1974 OMC 165 engine?

girlsplus1

I went to see a guy who has a boat for sale with an inline 6 & a 165. Turns out the boat is in pretty rough shape and I don't think I want to take it on. The guy I got it from a guy who cleaned the engine runs well. I believe it's because it obviously has a new head. I'm going back tomorrow to do a compression test and if that checks out I'm planning to make him an offer.I think I can get it cheaper now but will I be stuck with just a large anchor?

P.S. The out drive is shot and in pieces.

Thanks, that was a typo (speech to text recognition, working on limited sleep). That should have read, "The guy got it from a guy who CLAIMED the engine runs well. I am a mechanic (heavy duty). It has an obviously new head (no paint, no rust.) Update: He's scrapping the boat to sell the trailer. I've read that the props are hard to find, as well as outdrive parts. Don't you think it's worth a hundred bucks to scavenge whatever I can?

Thanks, that was a typo (speech to text recognition, working on limited sleep). That should have read, "The guy got it from a guy who CLAIMED the engine runs well. I am a mechanic (heavy duty). It has an obviously new head (no paint, no rust.) Update: He's scrapping the boat to sell the trailer. I've read that the props are hard to find, as well as outdrive parts. Don't you think it's worth a hundred bucks to scavenge whatever I can?

Ayuh,.... You could recover most of that at Scrap prices,.....

Made the deal tonight, picking her up tomorrow night. Can't wait to get this puppy running. (and some good parts for my outboard, too!)

Those 165 - 6's are good motors, if in good shape. Decent power, descent durability, economical, & smooth running. I rebuilt a seized one yrs ago, it pushed my 18.5' Wellcraft Airslot to 45mph, easily!

I just picked up an 18' '72 Fiberform Tri-Hull (windsheild way forward on the bow). Opposite problem of the potential 'donor' boat. The hull and outdrive of this "ugly duckling" seems sound. The OMC 165, not so much. When I pulled the rear plug water poured out. It needs a new motor. I located this thread searching for options.
What have you found out about the motor? Does it have good compression? Are the cylinders full of water like mine?

Back