Logo

Minnkota Powerdrive

SD Fisherman

Hi: I have a Minnkota Powerdrive 52" 42 pound thrust with cordless remote control, about 20 years old. It keeps kicking in and out and seems to be getting worse, sometimes it stops completely and I then have to move the speed switch up and down to get it to kick in, then it may work a few seconds, and kick out again, or kick in and out. Then also sometimes it will work fine for awhile. It seems to work much better when I first start fishing, today it worked flawlessly for about 1/2 hour before it warmed up, but that is not always the case. Rotating the propeller shaft back & forth works perfect all the time. I don't think it is the controller as it does the same thing in continuous or momentary, it also sometimes kicks back in just by rotating the shaft a bit. The propeller is free of any fishing line twisted on the propeller shaft. Any suggestions? Could it be the brushes or the motor itself, or maybe I am wrong and it is the controller? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Hi: I have a Minnkota Powerdrive 52" 42 pound thrust with cordless remote control, about 20 years old. It keeps kicking in and out and seems to be getting worse, sometimes it stops completely and I then have to move the speed switch up and down to get it to kick in, then it may work a few seconds, and kick out again, or kick in and out. Then also sometimes it will work fine for awhile. It seems to work much better when I first start fishing, today it worked flawlessly for about 1/2 hour before it warmed up, but that is not always the case. Rotating the propeller shaft back & forth works perfect all the time. I don't think it is the controller as it does the same thing in continuous or momentary, it also sometimes kicks back in just by rotating the shaft a bit. The propeller is free of any fishing line twisted on the propeller shaft. Any suggestions? Could it be the brushes or the motor itself, or maybe I am wrong and it is the controller? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Sounds like it could be the brushes in the lower unit? With a motor that old it's probably due for new brushes in the lower unit motor. Try to get a wiring diagram from MinnKota and see if the brushes are still available.
Good luck.
rob

Thank you very much two rivers, I did just that and I can still get brushes, I will give that a try. I took the long bolts out last night and there is no water in the lower unit and the bolts look like new. Thanks again, I really appreciate your response. SD fisherman.

Back