Logo

Science project growing in my gas tank

rfdlou

Regular Contributor
Twin 5.7 EFI's each runs off it's own 125 Gal. tank. I try to keep the tanks full & have not had any problems with e10 gas until now. I have never seen the white gunk in the filters. Took the boat on a 200 mile round trip run. Burnt 225 Gals. of fuel running 3300 RPM without a problem. Engines never skipped a beat. Went out a week later after idling out of the bay the right engine dies. Change the spin on filter & find this stuff that looks like fat from a pork chop. Could not restart. Hooked up my handy-dandy outboard priming bulb to the fuel line & the bulb collapsed. Work my way back to the tank blowing every thing out. The stuff completely blocked the shut off valve. Pick up was clear. Primed the system started right up. Ran @ 1500 RPM for about 2 hours & 3300 RPM for 1 hour no problems. I know this is an e10 issue probably with some microbes at work. The good thing is it doesn't get past the filters. I will have to run some more and see what happens.

We cannot get ethanol free fuel. I change the spin on 20 micron filters before the fuel cells (that have a 10 micron filter that's a pia to change)the first time I see any RPM bounce & before storage. The only thing I see in the old filters is that slightly cloudy gas with water suspended in it. I also drain the fuel cells occasionally very little stuff in those.Never any phase separation white stuff. Mostly short trips last year rarely does it go below 1/2 tank. I put stable in during the winter.

Back