Logo

Fuel Problem

southern

I have a Honda 200 (2003) that I had some fuel pickup issues with. The shop corrected these but upon using my boat yesterday, my temperature alarm went off. The stream of water is strong out of the water discharge, but apparently has fuel mixed in with it. You can see the fuel being displaced in the water from the stream. Any thoughts of what the issue may be?

Update: I actually looked at my boat again this morning and the fuel is coming out of the exhaust. Ideas?

Last edited:
pump the fuel prime bulb and see without starting the engine,If u can see the fuel is coming out it might leak somewhere in the fuel lines Or it is overflowing from vapor separator tank.

First make sure for no fuel leak and no overflowing .

wajira

Agree with Wajira that you need to initially test for fuel line leaks with engine off and squeezing the pump up bulb several times, then closely inspect the engine with the cover and upper cowling off.

But need more info to help further...
1. How do you know it's the temperature alarm?
2. Do you have a 4-light key switch?
3. Did you get a continuous alarm AND the green oil light on AND the red over heat alarm are on, ONLY?
4. Precisely what do you mean by "You can see the fuel being displaced in the water from the stream"? Does that mean you are getting a fuel slick on the surface of the water from the water coming out of the telltale? Are you sure that's where it's coming from?
5. Do you know how to pull fault codes using a shunt (paper clip) on the service connector?

Thanks for all the help!
Found a split O-ring seal that was split at the vapor separator assembly that was spraying gas directly into a drain hole causing the gas to run out through and out on the exhaust.

Man! That was a GOOD catch! Fire CITY with gas spilling near exhaust! YOU SAVED YOUR OWN LIFE! Well....for the doubters.....maybe!

Good that you found the problem, but not sure why that set off the alarm unless there was too little fuel pressure.

Back