Logo

9.9 Acceleration Issue

I purchased a 9.9 4 stroke a couple of weeks ago that has been sitting for about 3 years which was winterized by the local shop before it was stored. I checked everything before starting like I was supposed to, engine started right up. Ran for a couple of hours, changed the pugs, checked all fluids and everything is good. The only thing is if I give it gas to fast and try to accelerate it stalls, got to go real easy with the throttle then it moves fine. What can be causing this???

Any suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks

Do you know what year the outboard was manufactured? The post 2000 models have "accelerator pump" circuits in the carburetors that are intended to keep the engine from hesitating when the throttle is twisted. The internal workings of that accelerator circuit can get dirty and plugged up to the point of affecting the engine's performance. That is what this sounds like to me.
The solution, I'm afraid, is a carburetor "rebuild". There is no "quick fix" other that to bolt on a new carburetor. Which, for this engine, isn't all that bad a solution.....If it's an 01 or later that is.
A rebuild is around $60 or 70$ parts and materials and you do the work. With a new carburetor being about $140 plus gaskets plus shipping.
Most first time "re builders" don't "get it" the first time and it can be frustrating for the novice to get the carburetor thoroughly clean without an ultrasonic cleaner and the Honda Carburetor Manual.

Back