Logo

Yamaha 9.9 4-stroke, new to me, several issues

rbpmec

[h=2]
fetch
[/h]

I found a really nice-running T9.9ELRH, freshwater-only, after an exhaustive 10-days search in the northeast

the only issue, the PO said, was slowly it loses fuel pressure as it runs, and dies
I thought it might a blocked vent in the tank, or the check valve in the prime bulb, and the engine purred so quiet and ran so well, and the price was so good, that I bought the motor

now trying to troubleshoot several issues:

1. fuel pressure:
• it is not a blocked vent - same issue if you unscrew the fuel fill cap and have plenty of air back pressure
• it *may* be the check valve in the prime bulb - bought a new bulb, and will install shortly (I am not at the boat right now)
• possible fuel pump diaphragm? any other possibilities? anyone else experience similar symptoms?

2. vertical lock:
• the lever on front that is supposed to lock the motor down in place or up at an angle (for planing, etc) does not work - the lever moves, but no locking happens - is this a known issue? how does the lock-in-place work? are there sliding pins that come out into the holes? PO had two nails stuck in to the holes to hold the motor down - in reverse, it will ride back up out of the water

3. side-to-side lock:
• this motor is on a sailboat, and only needs to be held straight forward - the locking pin that is supposed to hold it in place is there, but the bracket to catch the pin is missing, and the front plate to support the bracket is broken a little bit - are either of those parts available here?

Thanks! Rolf in MA

Back