Logo

Honda BF30 Rattling Noise From Shift Linkage

SinkTip123

I removed the lower unit to have the skeg welded (don't ask) and when I reinstalled the gear case, the shift linkage seems to rattle.
- Everything went back together easily and it pumps water great.
- It only rattles when it's in neutral.
- When I put it into either forward or reverse it stops rattling, it also stops just when I start to put it into reverse but it's not quite fully engaged.
The L/U was removed while the console shifter was in reverse position to make it easier to access the coupler lock nut, and the shifter was not moved while the lower was off. I do not know if the guy who welded the skeg shifted on the bench it but they've been in business for 40 years so I doubt it.
- It seems to go into either forward or reverse just fine.
- The shift linkage coupler and lock nut is tight.
Is there some sort of adjustment I am missing? I do not have a manual.

Well, you said don't ask but I'm going to anyway. How much welding and how high up on the case? If they got the housing good and hot, it could have melted the shift rod seal if it wasn't "heatsinked" during the operation. That MIGHT cause it to rattle. It shouldn't matter if the unit was shifted while on the bench as long as it was put back into reverse before re-installing and coupling the shift rods.

Was the prop removed for this work? If so, did you get the thrust washer back in correctly? The "skinny" end forward?

Depending on how hard the hit was and/or how much heat was applied to the housing during the repair, it is POSSIBLE that the case got deformed a bit and has changed dimensionally somewhat. I capitalized POSSIBLE because I would not want you to unduly focus on this until considering all other, SIMPLER, possibilities. Most of the "rattles" I've seen are from a loose or improperly installed prop. Many boat owners don't realize that the thrust washer needs to be replaced from time to time and is considered a "service" part. If you see ANY wear on that item, put in a new one before considering anything else as being wrong.

One other thing that comes to mind is that the welding shop may have taken the prop shaft holder out in order to access the damaged part of the case. If so, they may have accidentally not put everything back correctly. I doubt it but it is POSSIBLE. You could ask them if they took it apart to weld it up and see what the answer is.

BUT, initially, my money is on a loose prop. Check the thrust washer, clear out any fishing line and then put the prop back on with the proper outer washer and nut. Then, just LIGHTLY "snug" it up (not too tight!) and put in the cotter pin and try it again.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Jimmy has a lot more deeper thoughts than me. After you check his suggestions.....Check out at how to adjust the shift on the attached pdf of How to change a water pump. It may that when you connected the upper and lower shift shafts, you might have done it wrong or may have put the pieces together under a little compression, causing a slight bend in the shaft.

Most likely, it is what Jimmy said.

Mike

Attachments

• ml.repaw05v.marine_-_water_pump_replacement_for_bf25a_d__bf30a_d_engines.pdf
    157 KB · Views: 216
Thanks for all the help, this forum is so much better than the other ones that seem to ignore Honda for some reason. What's up with that anyway?
The damage was just on the lowest and thinnest portion of the skeg, about 1-1.5" of the leading edge was off. I had some damage to the prop too so they fixed that as well. It was a prop shop here in the Vancouver area, so they know what they are doing.
I reinstalled the prop and really it only goes together one way that seemed correct. I will check again tonight and also readjust the shifter linkage. My gut says the linkage is the problem.
I will follow up later fixed or not.

Yeah, maybe it gets a little TOO deep sometimes....as in keep your boots on! :~) Sheesh! Thanks Mike....I got so wrapped up in my "deep thoughts" I went ZOOOOOOM, right by the shift rod adjustment part! Oh well, sometimes I just get a bit too eager.
Hope that's it Sink Tip123
Good luck.

I think it was the shift shaft adjustment. I disconnected it, made sure the gearcase was in reverse, put the shifter in reverse and then adjusted it per the instructions. Seems fine now - other than the oil leak I just noticed!
Sigh

Back