Logo

2005 115HP Mercury 4S EFI

Antny

Anyone ever pulled a lower unit off a 2005 Mercury 115HP 4S EFI and had oil leak out from around the top outside shroud area? I pulled my lower unit for water pump impeller replacement and seconds after pulling the unit off engine oil started leaking on the ground. I looked up through drive shaft housing and it was clean no sign of oil leaking. I had the motor at full tilt (up) an assumed that was the culprit. I read that this model engine had a verado block and power head off boatest.com, whether true, I don't know. I saw that the Verado motor requires an oil drain prior to removing the lower unit, but my engine is not a Verado. Any help appreciated, just did not seem normal to me to have engine oil leak but if this is normal let me know. Ive put it back together and heading to the river this w/e.

This is normal. You have to drain some oil from this engine series when dropping the lower unit.

Thanks Chris, plan to put it on the water this today. Ran it in a tub yesterday to check the water pump, had 4psig at idle 800rpm, throttled up slowly saw 10-11 psig, tell-tale looked much better than before.

Back