Logo

No electrical power to anything.

mlawson

Hi, I have a 1975 17' Searay with a Ford 302 and OMC 175 Stringer. Started up fine at the dock, ran it about 15 minutes and stopped to put a skier in the water. When I put it in neutral the engine died. Turned the key and nothing happened, engine didn't try to turn over, no power to the nav lights, blower, horn, etc. Another boat stopped to offer a jump start, initially there was clicking sound but wouldn't start. After second attempt and beyond no clicking sound and no electrical power to any part of the boat. Battery has a full charge. Could this be a solenoid assembly problem? I was probably going to start by replacing it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? Thank you.

Start with removing the battery cables, and clean the battery terminals, & cables with a wire brush, or battery terminal cleaner. Then put some dialectric grease on them. Then go around and clean all electrical connections the same way, especially any ground connections. Corrosion may not be visible, but still be there. An once of protection, is worth a pound of cure!

Then try it again, before doing anything else. If you still have problems, it could be a worn out key switch, or slave solenoid.

MikDee, thank you for the suggestions. I'll clean everything up and try again. I've looked through the parts diagrams and can't identify a slave solenoid, is this the same thing as the solenoid assembly or would it be identified under a different name? Thanks.

MikDee and kimcrwbr1, I disconnected and clean all (almost) of the electrical connections. It started right up! I don't know which one was causing the problem because I didn't test it after each one but your suggestions worked. Thanks so much! Great forum!!

Back