Logo

WTH is wrong with starter - clicking noise

Bois

Hope someone has an answer. Have twin 1989 OMC King Cobra 262's. One won't turn over. When I turn the ignition key on, all I hear is a clicking noise. Well, I thought it was the starter so I ordered a new one and installed it. Turn the key on and I get the clicking noise. Hmmm, maybe it is the ignition switch, it checks out good. Pulled the new starter out and took it O'Rielys and tested it - works fine. Start looking around and found 2 - 50 amp fuses, one is burnt out, replace that and try and turn it over, same clicking noise. Start looking around some more and found the starter assist solenoid, ordered a new one and replaced it. Try and start it and all I get is the clicking sound. Is there something I missed? Why would it just click and not turn over.
Had a big weekend planned for the family, but it will not work out if I can't figure this problem out.
I don't know what to do or where to go to find help with this.

Which starter motor do you have? Bendix style, or pinion kick-out via solenoid lever arm?

Is there a "slave" solenoid in the system?

Can the engine be turned by hand or by strap wrench from the front balancer? If not.... pull the spark plugs and check to see if you have any water in the cylinders. Water in the cylinders will hydro-lock the engine.

Last edited:
I'll have to check the starter motor style.
Yes, there is a slave solenoid and I just replaced it.
I'll try turning engine by hand.
How could I have water in the cylinders?

How could I have water in the cylinders?
Head gasket failure.
Cracked cylinder head(s).
Cracked cylinder block.
Exhaust gas reversion during the last shut-down.
Bad exhaust manifold.
Bad exhaust elbow.

If you suspect this at all... don't waste any time. Pull the spark plugs and roll it over.

I'll pull the plugs today and report back.
Ricardo - there are not many mechanics like you that can diagnose a problem - thanks for the suggestions

Ricardo - there are not many mechanics like you that can diagnose a problem -
Well, forunately that is not true. But thank you just the same.

There is another possibilty.
Check the drive gear oil. There is a remote chance that the drive could be locked up if it has taken on water and has caused rust at the gears/bearings...... of which may prevent the starter motor from turning the flywheel.
Let's hope not!

Last edited:
OMC 262 Firing Order.jpg
Pulled the plugs and tried to turn it over, just the clicking noise.
Inspected the plugs from each cylinder for rust.
1,3 and 5 had a little rust on the threads.
Number 2 had some corrosion on the threads and gasket
Number 4 had the most rust and corrosion on the threads, gasket and electrode
Number 6 was the same as number 2, some corrosion on the threads and gasket
I checked the oil and there is no water in it.
I’ve got to weld up a tool for the crank shaft pulley to manually turn the engine over.

Made up a tool to turn engine over but can't budge it. Squirted some auto trans fluid in each cylinder, maybe that will loosen it up.

The motor ran fine last year, sometimes it was a little stubborn starting, but it always started and ran fine. I towed it home at the end of the season (4 hr drive) to winterize it. Top off the gas tanks and was going to start each engine and run some gas additive thru the carbs. The starboard motor just clicked when I tried to start it, so I blew it off and stored it for the winter. Maybe the pistons seized up from sitting since last fall.

The motor is seized solid, it's a ball of rust. What happened was the rubber coating on the exhaust seal was gone and the metal disc corroded. Water had gotten past the exhaust seal and flooded the engine. What I did find out is that this was a salt water boat at one time. Now looking for a replacement engine. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the reply! So Sorry to hear engine is seized, it sounds like a "fluke" of a problem, good luck doing whatever you need to do.

Back