Logo

Quicksilver alarm keeps beeping Mercury 115 outboard

davmcg

I have just bought a boat. It is a 21' Sylvan Pro Fisherman with Merc 115 outboard on it. The outboard is the older style from early 90's. I can't read the id number as it has been scratched. I took it out for a water test and it ran great.

I decided to give it full throttle to see how she would handle. The water was a little choppy. All of a sudden the alarm on the Quicksilver throttle started beeping. I stopped and checked the oil. It was a little less than 1/3 full. I added what I had and brought it just over half. The alarm would not shut off. I thought maybe because of the rough water it thought the oil was low. It is not a constant tone but a steady beeping.

After sitting so the engine was cool and oil had settled I turned the key again. The alarm still keeps beeping. I traced the wiring to the outboard. When I disconnected the purple wire to the oil warning module it stopped beeping. Reconnect and the beeping continues. I tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting but that did not reset anything.

I am wondering if I should replace the oil warning module. The part is not serviceable. I checked all the wires for corrosion or bad grounds but this engine is spotless. The part number (for the module) is 14857A14. Replacement part is 144-4857-16. I would appreciate any suggestions. I read something about an oil reserve that can be lossened to allow it to refill but I don't know if this applies to my motor.

Disconnecting the purple wire "disconnected" the entire alarm system - alarm module, oil level sensor and temp sensor (isolated all of them from the warning horn).

So all that (test) proved was the problem was in a place "other than" the control itself.

You can test the individual components as follows:

Find the single black wire coming from the temp sensor - located on the head - it's a small (button) pressed into the head/block with a single black wire that goes down to a (gang) that contains another black wire and a tan/blue and tan wire. If you unhook the wire leading to the sensor and the alarm goes away, your temp sensor is shot.

Next you can check the oil level sensor. Under the oil tank is two blue wires that go to (two) bullet connectors. Disconnect either one of them - again - alarm goes away the oil level sensor is shot.

If neither prove positive, since you have already pulled the purple wire, it would be safe to say your alarm module is shot.

Looks like I have it solved. When I disconnected the blue wire it stopped beeping. Removed the oil tank and found the hoses were just crumbling in my fingers. I replaced the lines and cleaned the oil tank and float switch with degreaser. When I put it back together I still had the same alarm. When I put the meter across the blue wires it was still grounded. Float switch is pooched. Got a new one on the way for $70. I am glad I was able to find and replace those buggered lines before it became a huge problem on the water.

Thank you Graham for your assistance I couldn't have done it without you.

Dave

Ok new issue for the year. When I turn on the engine I do not get the single beep. The oil pressure alarm problem seems to be fixed but now this new issue. What does the single beep indicate when I first turn on the engine?

the single beep tells you that the alarm system is basically working....either you miss wired when you hooked everything back up or the alarm module is shot..make sure the purple wire is hooked up and in the proper place....also make sure it has voltage on it...

I have a 1993 Starcraft SFM 170 powered by a Mercury 115. The alarm sounds continuously when the ignition is turned on. I replaced the overheat sensor/sending unit, and the alarm stopped. But, after about 6 hours of use, it is on again. I disconnected the overheat sensor/sending unit, and it remains on. So, I am thinking it's time to replace the alarm control unit? Can someone tell me where it is located? Here is a picture of the cockpit. Boat_cockpit_small.jpg

Back