Logo

1989 Johnson 25 HP, Model25ECEB, water pump replacement

rebranger

I just bought this motor today, has 110#'s compression on both cylinders, started it up in a water barrel, pee line not peeing, checked for blockage in pee line, took off from exhaust manifold cover, no water. Had water 3 inches over pump pick up. Obviously the pump isn't working. How does the shift lever decouple? I have done other models, 78, 81, even an 88 225 hp, but not one of these. Doesn't the shift shaft screw into a brass collar? instead of being held in the older type brass / bronze clamps where the threads strip & you have to get the ball placed just right.
Seems like to me I read somewhere that you put it one of the gears, & count the number of turns you unscrew it.. I may be confused..
Please Help!!:confused::confused::confused:

Behind the water screens is the shift shaft. located low on foot. Put shifter in neutral. A brass coupling of one male and one female should be separated. Right hand threads. Remove the black ferrel keeper and male brass part. If not you will knock them off in removing foot. The ferrel has a split in it that is hard to see.
If you let that ferrel spring out of your fingers, it will be a trip to the parts store and 5.99 for a new one.

The plastic keeper that retains the upper shift rod locking nut... notice that the taper faces "UP" so that you do not attempt to install it upside down.

Just doesn't work very well upside down. :)

Back