Logo

Crusader compression issue need help or advise

mcolello

i have a 1988 350 crusader with a velvet drive have been unable to start her we did a compression check and it was very low we found this article below .This was an earlier problem squirted som 30 weight oil into clynders and it went from 30 pounds to 125 I have not tried to start her again as of yet was wondering how long to let oil sit in head is there any danger involved in it ? I did not get the engine restore as of yet

Consecutive low compression in all cylinders could mean that the problem of fuel washed cylinders exists. This means that the engine has had too much fuel introduced into it and all of the oil has been washed off the cylinder walls. The oil creates a sealing effect between the piston and ring assemblies and the cylinder walls of the engine block. Without this thin layer of oil, the engine compression would be allowed to escape into the crankcase. This is common with an engine that has a 'flooding' problem.

This was an earlier problem squirted som 30 weight oil into clynders and it went from 30 pounds to 125 I have not tried to start her again as of yet was wondering how long to let oil sit in head is there any danger involved in it ?

If the engine seems to run normally but is weak and puffs a small amount of bluish smoke, it could be an indicator of worn piston rings and cylinder walls. In either of these events, use a small oil can and squirt a little oil into each cylinder, then repeat the compression test. If the compression dramatically increases then you have found the problem(s). If the compression readings do not change, then it would indicate a timing problem between the camshaft(s) and the crankshaft of the engine. The timing chain or belt would need to be checked for proper timing.
Engine Restore could help if you can turn the engine over long enough without causing a another problem. Usually it takes up to one hr to work.

low compression is usually caused by a leak, in any internal combustion engine....

If you think you can buy a can of "quick fix"; I can set you up with a guy that sells real estate real cheap...just liquidate your retirement account first...

Seriously, a compression issue is best addressed with a leakdown test...That will narrow the potential sources significantly. From there you can plan corrective actions based on budgetary constraints.

Back