Logo

Acceleration Problems with 1992 Mercury 60hp 2-stroke

Ryan Hines

Hey guys. My grandfather owns a 1992 Mercury 60 hp 2-stroke outboard motor on his bass boat, and He and I have been having some difficulties regarding acceleration. The motor runs fine while idling and up to half throttle. But when we try to accelerate past half-throttle towards full-throttle, the speed remains the same as if I was still at half-throttle. In other words we can't get the motor to "kick in" when I try accelerating. The motor doesn't really bog down or stall or anything, it just won't accelerate past a certain point. So we took off the cowl and checked the spark plugs and fuel lines and cleaned the carburetor with carb cleaner whilst looking for anything that could be a contributing factor. We even replaced the fuel filter thinking that might do the trick, but the problem persists!

Long story short; We're stumped. I've been exhausting Google for the past few days with no luck. I came across this forum in hopes that we can get some sound advice or even a solution on this issue as to what is causing the problem. We're obviously not professional mechanics and I apologize if my explanation comes off as confusing. My grandfather's a jack-of-all trades type with some mechanic experience, but a bit of a tight-arse when it comes to money... so that's why we're trying to fix it ourselves before we consider a professional shop. We've asked a few local mechanics for advice and got a few different theories on the issue, but I'd like to hear your guys' take on the situation or if anybody here has had a similar problem in the past? Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Did you check whether the remote throttle control is moving the throttle control in the engine past the midway point. If the throttle control cable is malfunctioning or adjusted/connected incorrectly it might be causing the issue.

Just a quick thought..

Back