Logo

oil change;

The lower unit is the only part with oil.
There should be 2 screws, one on the bottom of the lower and one near the cavitation plate.
Fill from the bottom screw hole until it comes out the top.
IF???? There is any water in the oil it needs to be pressure tested to find the leak.
The oil should be black or dark.

Similar question:

Just bought a 1981 Chrysler Outboard 45hp (457H1M) and wanted to know how to change/check the oil levels? Is it also only in the lower unit? Should I be using mixed fuel with this model? Can anyone help me find an owners manual?

Keith

Hi Keith, I have a 79 Chrysler 45 hp and recently did the same search. Manuals available this site altho the original Chrysler manual is no longer in print. You can get by with Seloc version, it's just a little hard to read because it covers several models and you have to keep checking to be sure your reading the right info. In the lower leg there are two screws. The top one is to check level and the bottom screw hole is to add oil. Seems weird but that's it. You remove both screws, (careful not to tamper with the shift pivot screw just to the right) thus draining all old oil from bottom screw hole. Then insert the nozzle of the new oil container, push it in tight, then squeeze the new oil in, (about 20 oz) till it comes out of the top hole. Then put the screw back in the top hole, (with your other hand, ha ha) then remove the oil nozzle and replace the bottom screw. Nothin to it. Mike

Hi Keith, I have a 79 Chrysler 45 hp and recently did the same search. Manuals available this site altho the original Chrysler manual is no longer in print. You can get by with Seloc version, it's just a little hard to read because it covers several models and you have to keep checking to be sure your reading the right info. In the lower leg there are two screws. The top one is to check level and the bottom screw hole is to add oil. Seems weird but that's it. You remove both screws, (careful not to tamper with the shift pivot screw just to the right) thus draining all old oil from bottom screw hole. Then insert the nozzle of the new oil container, push it in tight, then squeeze the new oil in, (about 20 oz) till it comes out of the top hole. Then put the screw back in the top hole, (with your other hand, ha ha) then remove the oil nozzle and replace the bottom screw. Nothin to it. Mike

Thanks Mike. Do you know what Oil is recommended in there?

Keith

Yeah Keith, I use 60 to one for gas/oil mix. It seems to work ok. A little smoke. You can try a little less or a little more. It's the only way the engine gets lubrication so it's important. About 2 oz per gallon is like 64 to 1. Works for me. You can get two stroke outboard oil at Walmart for about 5 bucks for a 16 oz bottle. Mike

Yeah Keith, I went to the nearest auto parts store. They have a couple brands of that 90 weight gear oil in the tall plastic bottle with the spout that will fit into your oil hole. I'd just get the best they have. Mike

I use 80/90 gear oil.
I change my oil a few times a year as the drain plug weeps just a bit.
It's way cheaper to spend 30$ for 2-3 gal of gear oil than finding a new lower for my units.
Running 60-1 is not a real good idea.
50-1 is recommended.
Too much oil will contribute to carbon buildup on the rings and cause them to seize and ruin the piston and cylinder.
The manufacturer knows what's best and 50-1 is the best way to go.
The oils we mix with the gas have the right additives to help keep it lubed and not cause any problems.
In the old days before TCW-3 the oils were actually designed to foul the rings(go figure) on certain motors.
Force/ Chrysler was one of them.
ANY!!! TCW-3 is OK to use.

Back