Logo

Not cranking fast enough.

New to forum, bare with me.
115hp Johnson outboard

Bought boat for 315$. It didn't start and we suspected the solenoid. The seller went and bought a new one for me. Still isn't starting up.

I am using a fully charged marine battery. Still no.
Using the battery WITH a battery charger connected to it. Still no.
When I remove all the spark plugs it does crank faster, but still wouldn't be enough to get this puppy started.
I've tried 3 different batteries. And 2 different solenoids.

I've checked all the connections, stripped old wire and made sure they were nice and tight.

Took off solenoid numerous times and reconnected it.
Turned key, turned off. Turned key, turned off. Still no.

I'll post a video later..

Any and ALL help is appreciated.

My next thought would be the starter.

Sounds like the brushes in the starter to me. I had the same thing happen with my Johnson 50HP and a Johnson 85HP. In both cases it was the starter.

I couldn't open the video. Says it Private.
Bill

Last edited:
thought I would look,would'nt let me watch said it was private .....ANYway I was have'in' same problem last week

Last edited:
Last week I went to my neiborhood starter repair shop,,,,55 bucks to rebuild worked and looked like a brand new one,,,,, for 1972 100 hp

Swapped out wires with new ones.
Worked. Started right up.

Now it's having a problem lol.
It started to crank slow again, the starter itself is super hot. I put a few drops of water on it and it boiled them away.
Do I need a new one now...?

In my case I just had mine rebuilt,,its just like a brand new one but half the price,its your choice brother maybe take it to a mach.

I fixed my starter. Ripped it apart and wd40 all over in it after cleaning it up. Found tons of nasties in there.

Now my next problem I've noticed is the fuel.
I pump the bulb and it never gets firm. Seems I can feel air coming in.
I take the hose off the engine and poke the ball and pump. It doesn't squirtle a steady stream so air is getting in...
I can't seem to find the air leak anywhere.
Might need to just replace all of it.

Next.job to tackle, after fuel hose is the carb... need to get it cleaned..any idea on a mechanic est?

just make sure your fuel hose are not to long,try to keep it as straight as possible on motor side of bulb just try not to let the hose look like it is layin in a valley..turn your hose around maybe backwards

Back