Logo

79 Johnson 85 hp changed impeller now engine runs like crap

Da Cooker

First time posting. I have a 85 v4 that was stored for 2.5 years in the garage, installed it on my old ranger and started it up (in a tank) it ran great no misfires or anything. It had a weak stream coming from the tell tell and the stats open like they should. I decided that the motor sat for so long that it might be a good idea to change the impeller, have no idea when it was changed last.....bad idea:( After the impeller change water was coming out of the seams of the lower unit and the engine started to run like crap. I cant figure out what happened. Any thoughts.

Pull the lower unit back off and see what is going on. I'm wondering if you got the water tube installed in the grommets correctly.
Bill

The water tube is inserted properly. I attached a hose directly to the water tube to see if the upper grommet was leaking. it did a little at 30 psi of water pressure. I did see that water was coming from the back of the lower power head just below the water tube. Is that the bypass port?. I still don't see how that will cause the motor to start running poorly. I did start it ( on the hose) and it ran the same (rough) like it was mistimed. Tomorrow I plan to do a full check of the ignition circuits. I have done a compression check and cyls are at 100psi +/-5psi. Not really sure what the comp should be, but with all 4 cyls that even it shouldnt be an issue....or maybe I'm wrong. Coils have less than 5 hours on them...changed them before I stored the motor, new plugs and wires, fresh fuel at 50:1. I did pull each plug wire and the motor responded as it should have. I rebuilt the Carbs just after impeller install thinking they may have been the issue. Fuel pump clean and operating as it should. So still stumped.

Back