Logo

Looking for year/info about my Mariner 40 HP. Tag reads, Mariner 40E 6E9 L 40430

XDIME03

May also have another digit at the end but where the rivets are on the plate are slighty corroded and can not see the last digit. So far ive got that its a 40 hp, I believe the L was for long shaft. Not sure the rest esp the year.

Yamaha built model for Merc under a partnership agreement.

It was a carbon copy of a Yamaha model intended for sale "outside" of North America so that Merc could make some sales in untapped markets (primarily Asia).

Your model/serial number breaks down as follows:

40 - horsepower
E - electric start (so came from factory as an electric start model)

6E9 - the Yamaha designation that indicates "what" Yamaha model this was a "exact" copy of (100% mechanically the same - only difference was paint and decals) - in this case 1981 thru 1983 Yamaha 40FM/40FE/40FEML models

L - long shaft (meant to be mounted on a boat with a 20" transom)

40430 - the actual "serial" part - indicating it was built in 1982 and sold as a 1982 Mariner model "40C" (which is how Merc would have it listed for parts - as a C model, not an E model as stated on your plate).

The Mariner 40E on that plate refers to it being an electric start model.

Yamaha built three different 40 horse Mariner model runs for Merc. For "parts purposes" Merc called them A, B, and C models which referred to the "model run" and not any characteristics of the motor itself.

Ya, a little confusing - probably done on purpose :)

Wow, galamb, what a in-depth response. I really appreciate the time and effort it took you to reply. This will help me greatly to get what I need done. Thanks again!

Thank you for the information above. My data plate has Mariner 40EL 6E9 L 414960. . what does the first "L" stand for? I was trying to figure out if the motor is supposed to have an air filter.

Thank you for the information above. My data plate has Mariner 40EL 6E9 L 414960. . what does the first "L" stand for? I was trying to figure out if the motor is supposed to have an air filter.
Long shaft

Back