Logo

Slipping, won't plane out

DougPreuss

Recently acquired a 1985 Bayliner 15' Capri 2.1 Volvo Penta 270
Motor is running great, but when I punch it coming out of the hole it will not plane out and it feels like it is slipping then going into gear than slipping, I know there is no transmission but best way to describe it, feels like an automatic transmission that is going out. Have always had outboards before so this is all new to me, any "Help" would be appreciated.
Thanks

It could be the rubber hub on the prop being worn out. Take the pop off, look at the inside rubber for any signs of damage?
Then put a straight line across the center of the prop with a permanent marker. Then put the prop back on, and run the boat in the water. When finished, take the prop off, and check the line to see if it separated (inside moved), if so your hub is shot, and it needs to be re-hubbed, or you need a new prop!

If the prop happens to be okay, then it could be the engine coupler with it's rubber core of similar design, but bigger.

Recently acquired a 1985 Bayliner 15' Capri 2.1 Volvo Penta 270
I know there is no transmission

No... there is a transmission, a single speed manual one... Forward, Neutral, Reverse with a reduction. There is also the automotive equivalent of a "rear" end, i.e., the lower portion of the "leg" which has the right angle transition as well as the gears for the final drive reduction. This type of transmission very rarely, if ever slips. Check the prop hub as previously posted.

Yes... the transmisison is the upper drive unit. These use cone clutch gear engagement.

Where is the set pin positioned? Should be in the center hole.
If it's in the AFT-most hole, the drive will be trimmed for higher speeds only.

Scribe or draw a line through the inner prop hub and the outer blade hub.
Run it again and recreate the issue..... then check to see if the line has shifted.
If so, the prop hub is bad.

BTW, there is a remote chance that the cone clutch may slip when/if:

• the gear oil is contaminated with water..... of which will be 30W engine oil if single prop drive.
  • if the sliding sleeve oil grooves have metallic debris in them.

Double check your gear oil.
If the sliding sleeve is contaminated, it will require transmission removal and disassembly.

Over the years I have seen the brass cone clutch transfer some trace material onto the steel cups and this will make the drive slip.

Back