Logo

1988 Ski Supreme with 351 windsor stalled out and won't ignite

David Perry

Hi folks, first post on the forum here.

I went out and bought myself a ski boat with a 351W in it. Was out on the water with some buddies tubing and when switching riders while idling the boat died out. After trying to start it the engine will crank repeatedly and not turn over. I just replaced the battery literally 2 hours prior to this happening so that is not the likely contender. After finding a cool guy and his wife slamming beers on the water and had them tow us in we tried to start the boat again after trying repeatedly for a while the engine fired up no problem but proceeded to die a few seconds later. Same thing fast forward 10-20 minutes without trying to start it the boat started and died almost right away.

I'm new to the boat game but know a small enough amount that I could probably trouble shoot the issues. My guess is something with the fuel as it was able to start twice and then die.

Any help is much appreciated!

note: the water was insanely choppy when idling. a friend of mine thinks water could have slipped into one of the vents as we had the rear to the chop while swapping riders.

Cheers!

Dave

Back