Logo

Mariner 2006 15 HP 2 stroke cylinder sleeve replacement

Dazza69

Has anybody ever replaced a cylinder sleeve on a merc or mariner. Over honed it to get rid of the rust etc. and its still out by .017 to .020 even if I put O/S .02 pistons in it. It needs to be .002 to .005. Now all I see is to get a second hand block or resleeve it. But I have not seen any info on the net about resleeving this motor.

Any suggestions???

Last edited:
There were/are a headless, split block (jughead) style powerhead.

They don't have a (traditional) head, the whole shebang is bored into the upper half of the block. It would take a pretty specialized machine shop to sleeve one of these (if it could be done???).

I have never heard/seen of them using Mercosil in the 15's (was definitely used in the 25's). My most recent service manual still lists the cylinders as cast iron.

If boring to .015" over will not correct your issue, then you will probably have to replace the block.

Thanks for the info. This motor is made in Japan. They are cast iron bores. So international specs apply. I think I will look around for some .04 pistons, if they make them, as long as the bore is within out of round limits I should be set.

[QUOTEI have never heard/seen of them using Mercosil in the 15's (was definitely used in the 25's). My most recent service manual still lists the cylinders as cast iron.
][/QUOTE]
The 1994 -2004 15 Mercury is a MERCOSIL block....

Back