Logo

2006 350 mag leaking water and gear oil. HELP !!!

skinut1

Contributing Member
I have a two-fold question. I know these are not related but need help on both. I have a 2006 Crownline 240 EX with a 350 mag and Bravo III. My loud beeper went off today while on the lake. The only thing I could see that could be the reason was the outdrive oil tank was low. It was full at the beginning of the summer (about 30 hours ago) but is low now. Do I just add oil and worry about later or what? I didn't have any gear oil to add to quiet the alarm but am quiet sure it is the culprit. The next thing is, as I was looking for the reason for the beeping, I noticed water being slung from the lower left pulley on the engine. I shut the engine off to inspect further and it just dripped from behind the pully. It looked like the seal was leaking. It was the very bottom and left side of motor.It had a big hose the curved around it. I know this was not the "water pump" but it did some sort of water pumping. Is it hard to change and will it last for a couple of more weekends. It wasn't leaking bad but was leaking. Also, what is it called?
Thanks for all the help. This site has been a blessing !!!

probably the raw water pump ,that's usually on the lower stbd side down low. depends on what part is leaking.

It is leaking on the backside of the pully around the shaft. A drip every second or so after it is shut off but a fine spray when idleing due to the pulley slinging the water. Do I replace the entire pump or can i replace the seal on the shaft behind the pully?
Thanks for everyones help !

You can look online for Mercruiser OEM parts vendors and they will usually have schematics with all the parts called out. You'll need your year, model #, and sometimes serial #. This will at least help you identify whats what on your engine & outdrive. A supplier I frequently use is http://www.mercuryparts-direct.com/default.asp but there are lots out there with schematics. Make sure you use the right gear lube and just top off the reservoir. Some consumption/leakage over time is not unusual in my experience.

Back