Logo

OMC to Volvo Penta DP-SM conversion

I can't argue with that, but I have the issue that some of the Volvo parts are burnt. I would like to know what parts are the same so that I don't have to buy Volvo parts to have complete Volvo and OMC assemblies.

The OMC Cobra is a Dog Clutch drive w/ Gimbal system suspension.
The Volvo Penta SX or DP-S is a Cone Clutch drive, and also w/ Gimbal system suspension.
OMC Cobra gear selection is via the lower unit, whereas with the V/P cone clutch, gear selection is via the upper transmission.

Although they have a slightly similiar exterior appearance, the drive casing are completely different.

I don't touch the OMC drives. Well, maybe rarely.
I do touch the SX and DP-S drives.
However, since I don't touch the OMC, I'm not able to suggest which parts, if any, will work for your DP-S drive.

Ricardo,

I know, primarly because of you, the distinction. I'm trying to find the other parts that will swap...forks, inner/outer shield, bellows, and steering.

The inner transom plate from an OMC will not work. I just did this about 3 weeks ago; meaning I converted an OMC Cobra 3.0L to a 4.3L Volvo Penta DP-S1, including VP gimbal housing and bell. I realize your currently a Ford V-8, but as for what I'm refering to it won't matter the make of gas engine.

When I installed my OMC inner plate I realized there is no hole to run the shift cable through. The first thing I thought of was modifying it. Cutting a hole would be a major PIA due to where you would need to cut. I looked on E-bay and found a Volvo penta SX-M inner for $45.00 shipped. Since this is a winter project you have lots of time to be patient and find a good price. That said the only things that should be a problem from fire is the cable sheath and the rubber in the rear mounts, again, very cheap to aquire on e-bay.

As far as the 33c cables goes, I removed the red OMC cable ends, attached VP brass fittings, and I was able to use both cables; including eliminating the entire ESA, brackets and all, and running the original shift cable coming from the controls directly to the VP shift plate. I don't know how your controls are set up, I assume its' similar to what mine was, in that the throttle cable for the OMC pushes and the VP pulls so you have to take the controls apart and change it around.

In the end the only items that remain OMC on my change over is the engine coupler, the flywheel cover, and the trim/tilt system.

Perhaps you missed this post or perhaps I don't understand the question????

Inner shield from OMC Cobra not useable for the VP.
Engine coupler from OMC Cobra useable
Flywheel cover from OMC Cobra useable

If the inner Volvo Penta shield has been burnt for $12 you buy a can of color matched paint, then transfer the rubber from the rear mounts over from the OMC.

OMC inner.jpgVolvo inner.jpg
Wayne,
You said it would be a major PIA to make a hole for the shift cable in the OMC inner transom plate. I posted a picture of the OMC (left) and Volvo (right) transom plates so others can see why. Even though it would be a PIA, is it possible?

I must be blind, as I see no visible difference. Besides, doesn't the shift cable enter below the transom shield?

Back