Logo

1989 Mercruiser 260 wont crank but I hear a click...

crashlann

I inherited an older Cobalt 19' with a Mercruiser 260. It hasnt been run in 2 years. I manually cranked the engine adding oil to loosen it and bought a cheap Walmart marine starting battery 24MS, When I crank it, I hear a loud click down by the slave solenoid. I replaced the solenoid hoping it was falty, one of the poles were broken anyways...but it is still doing the same thing. When I try to jump the slave solenoid, I hear clicking and there is electricity sparking, but NO TURNOVER. I know the battery is good, I have a 3 stage charger I put it on. Sorry to bomb this forum with a question right out of the gates, but Im getting harassed by the HOA for having it on the street. I changed the fuel, but thats not even an issue yet, because I cant get it to crank. All connections are tight and clean. ​ Thank you for any feedback.

remove the starter and have it inspected.a hard solenoid click and no starter activation could mean its been under water or has got wet.
Jumping the slave dosent mean much ,that only powers the starters solenoid, jump the solenoid on the starter

remove the starter and have it inspected.a hard solenoid click and no starter activation could mean its been under water or has got wet.
Jumping the slave dosent mean much ,that only powers the starters solenoid, jump the solenoid on the starter

Thank you. I think it might have been under water...the bilge was full of rain water when I got it home...and lots of racoon sh%t...So youre thinking corrosion? I will remove it, is there any way I can inspect it? Those things are pricey. Thx.

Back