Logo

40 HP 2 Stroke having fuel pickup issues- need help

Treetime

Background: Boat purchased, previous owner ran nothing but non ethanol gas, I have done the same. Boat ran fine on test drive. Boat ran fine for 2 weeks after purchase. Yesterday I was cruising 12-15 mph, and appeared to run out of gas. Changed tanks like normal primed it yadda yadda... boat would crank run a few minutes sound like it was starving for fuel then die. Prime it again choke it crank it run good for 5 minutes sound like it was starving for fuel then die again. Basically I limped it back to the dock like this. The boat has never been run over about 15 mph. Now trying to repair it the float ball (primer bulb, whatever you call it) you can prime it but never seems to tighten up. I replaced this thinking bad ball, same results.

checked the fuel filter and cleaned it, not bad but did it anyway. Still having the same issue. So before I randomly start replacing parts such as fuel pump, etc would anybody have a suggestion?

Thanks

the ball should tighten up and become hard....then it will not remain hard when you are running...visually inspect everything in the gas system...make sure the carb(s) are not overflowing if you continue to pump bulb....make sure the connector on the fuel line connecting to the motor is fully snapped into place and the oring is good...will the motor run ok if someone is pumping the bulb?....to net it out the bulb should pump up hard..if no fuel is visable anywhere then suspect a air leak on the tank side of the bulb feed...make sure the tank is vented...

Background: Boat purchased, previous owner ran nothing but non ethanol gas, I have done the same. Boat ran fine on test drive. Boat ran fine for 2 weeks after purchase. Yesterday I was cruising 12-15 mph, and appeared to run out of gas. Changed tanks like normal primed it yadda yadda... boat would crank run a few minutes sound like it was starving for fuel then die. Prime it again choke it crank it run good for 5 minutes sound like it was starving for fuel then die again. Basically I limped it back to the dock like this. The boat has never been run over about 15 mph. Now trying to repair it the float ball (primer bulb, whatever you call it) you can prime it but never seems to tighten up. I replaced this thinking bad ball, same results.

checked the fuel filter and cleaned it, not bad but did it anyway. Still having the same issue. So before I randomly start replacing parts such as fuel pump, etc would anybody have a suggestion?

Thanks

Repair made. Apparently the fuel line had a leak somewhere. I replaced the lines and everything works great.

Back