Logo

Evinrude 40 HP went out of gear while driving & wont go back in gear

mentzer213

Was driving last night and had to stop several times because of so many floating weeds getting tangled in prop. Was driving at about 3/4 off throttle the motor just almost popped like revving real high and the prop stopped spinning. Then it wouldn't go in forward or reverse. motor runs fine, but wondering if this year motor even has a shear pin or is it something more significant. Any help would be greatly appreciated=I pulled off the prop but didn't notice anything that looked wrong.

Thanks for the help-when I pulled off the prop everything seemed fine. I didn't notice any foul or worn grooves anywhere. I keep reading about the clutch dog gear-do you know how to test that possibility?

You are looking for a slot that a pin would fit into and a snapped pin in a hole in the prop shaft. put the prop back on and mark the hub and prop with a straight line; run the engine in the lake or a barrel in gear and see if the lines have moved;if so, then a spun prop and time for a new one or a visit to a prop shop for repair. Good luck

You are looking for a slot that a pin would fit into and a snapped pin in a hole in the prop shaft. put the prop back on and mark the hub and prop with a straight line; run the engine in the lake or a barrel in gear and see if the lines have moved;if so, then a spun prop and time for a new one or a visit to a prop shop for repair. Good luck

I didn't notice any shear pin or slot at all-I'm just assuming that my outboard model does not have a pin.

Then it is most likely a spun prop; do the test and see what you get. A clutch dog would most likely have given a "thump" when it let loose.

Looking at the diagrams for the 87 models I see your shaft is splined so you will not find a pin.Do the line test as Will says and you will know right away.You may even be able to check by putting the motor in gear and trying to turn the prop by hand.If you can turn the prop without the flywheel turning your prop is spun.If so a trip to a prop shop is on the cards.Not sure what the cost would be as it depends on the prop but I would think it would be cheaper than a new prop.Good luck.

A bit new here, but another test is to remove the prop altogether, and slowly turn the props shaft clockwise (could also turn flywheel I think, I always turn both slowly at same time) while a partner shifts it into gear(should slip in nicely, don't force it), once in gear, turn powerhead clockwise and see if prop shaft spins. If it does, probably spun hub, which isn't too bad at all. If not, could be gears in gearcase shot, perhaps pinion gear or other, that would be very serious.

Back